thecredo

New HackGate probe set to launch

In news on September 7, 2010 at 17:57

The Indy is reporting on the new probe that is to be launched following evidence given to the Home Affairs Select Committee, this morning.

The inquiry will focus on the police response, the ease of prosecuting such offences, and the treatment of victims after it emerged the New York Times refused to co-operate with British police looking into allegations of phone-hacking made by the newspaper last week.

Mr Vaz said: “The evidence of Assistant Commissioner John Yates today raised a number questions of importance about the law on phone-hacking, the way the police deal with such breaches of the law and the manner in which victims are informed of those breaches.

“I hope that this inquiry will clarify all these important areas.”

The inquiry is said to be looking at – among other things – the manner in which victims of phone-hacking are handled by the police. It is hoped that this will provide some clarity regarding how the police conducted the previous investigation, which resulted in the arrest of a News of the World reporter, and a private investigator.

The previous investigation also led to the resignation of Andy Coulson, former editor of the News of the World, now Director of Communications at Downing Street.

There is a growing faction of Tories in the Westminster village who are calling for action against Mr. Coulson.  It has been suggested that a fresh inquiry – and Coulson’s willingness to speak with the police – will quiet some of the more outspoken members of the group calling for his resignation.

You will read this.

Advertisements
%d bloggers like this: